Planning for the 2021 Chilhowie Community Apple Festival is underway. Modifications to this year's Apple Festival due to COVID protocols can be found below. Festivities begin with the Flavors of Fall 5K and the Beauty Pageant on Saturday, September 18 at Chilhowie High School.
The theme for the 2021 Apple Festival is "Flavors of Fall." The parade is scheduled for Saturday, September 25, at 10:00am.
All area businesses, civic groups, schools and churches are encouraged to enter floats in the parade observing the theme, "Flavors of Fall."
- Floats are judged before the parade at 9am in the lineup on the west end of Chilhowie. Float winners will be announced after the parade and before the crowning of the queen.
- The floats will be judged in four categories:
- First, second and third place ribbons will be awarded in each of the four categories.
- Ribbons will be placed on both sides of the float to be displayed as the floats travel the parade route.
- Monetary prizes will be awarded in each category, with 1st place $100, 2nd place $75, and 3rd place $50.
Covid Mitigation Protocols for the 2021 Festival Events
- All of our vendors will be spaced farther apart.
- Vendors will have hand sanitizer available to customers and will periodically disinfect frequently touched items and surfaces.
- All visitors to the exhibits in the Old High School are requested to wear a face covering.
- Hand sanitizer and masks will be available in the Old High School
- Train rides will only be in the first and third cars and all riders must ride with their own group.
- Everyone is asked to observe social distancing, both indoors and outdoors.
- There will be no baked goods category for the exhibits this year in either the children’s or adult divisions.
- The children’s crafts will be for them to take home and make rather than make them on site.
- There will be additional hand washing stations.
- Picnic tables will be singularly spaced rather under one tent.
- There will not be any costume characters in the parade.
- No items may be handed out during the parade to the spectators from the parade participants.
- There will be no inflatables for the children.
The following volunteers will serve on this year's Apple Festival committee:
- Co-Presidents: Becca Wilkinson-Smith, Vicki Wilson
- Co-Vice Presidents: Amanda Hayes, LauraEtta Wilkinson
- Recording Secretary: Janet Clear
- Corresponding Secretary: Sandy Goodman
- Co-Treasurers: Liz Czelusniak, Kathy Wright
- Outside Chair: Rebecca Wilkinson-Smith, Vicki Wilson, Tom Heffinger
- Inside Chair: Amanda Hayes
- Beauty Pageant: Karla Little-Campbell
- Catalog: Sharon Cahill
- Registered Agent (for SCC): Laura Etta Wilkinson
- Web Designer: Mary Lynne Martin
This community event which so many citizens enjoy would not be possible without the hard working volunteers who spend a great deal of time and effort to make it happen. So if you enjoy the Apple Festival each year, a simple word of Thanks might be in order!